Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

Son in altercation at work. He was provoked, pushed and

Customer Question

Son in altercation at work. He was provoked, pushed and prevented from leaving the heated argument. My son stuck back. Hitting the other man in the face. The police were called and a misdemeanor assault charge was issued on my son. He has a court date of 3/29/2016. In Laquna Beach court system. What can he expect at the first hearing? What is a possible scenario that can occur? Should he obtain a lawyer now or wait till after the 3/29/2016 hearing?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Usually, at the first hearing in a misdemeanor case, the judge will hear and decide the matter UNLESS a party requests a continuance. That said, continuances are usually freely given at the first setting.

However, he's much better off to consult an attorney prior to the court hearing and prepare a defense to the charges or have the lawyer try and reach a deal with the prosecutor to try and resolve the issue.

Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.

Thus, your son should consider hiring a lawyer as before he has court and try to get the matter resolved at the first setting.