LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.

Does the state of GA recognize domestic partnerships

Customer Question

Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon Colin,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am a GA licensed attorney.

The state of GA does not recognize domestic partnerships. However the following counties/cities in GA do: Fulton County, the City of Atlanta, and Athens-Clarke County. That is it.

Insurance companies doing business in GA do not have to recognize a domestic partnership, even if they are selling in the counties that do recognize it.

In order to get the insurance for your partner you will have to legally marry if you plan to d=reside in the state of GA.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Good evening,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Good evening,

Do you have any other questions for me?