Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC

Is it a crime if someone lied about who they are and their

Customer Question

Is it a crime if someone lied about who they are and their job and income and a marriage occurred ?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Experts on this site receive credit for assisting you when you click the rating (the stars) so please submit a rating prior to logging off. You aren't charged anything extra by submitting a rating. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. If you're asking if it may constitute fraud, yes it *may.* If you're asking if it makes the marriage invalid, it certainly could. I'd need more information about the situation to give you a more definitive answer.

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 7 months ago.
It would not necessarily be a crime unless we are talking about identity theft. It is grounds for annulment.

The statement above states it *may* be a crime... without more information it would be impossible to tell. Similarly, it *may* invalidate the marriage, which would allow someone to seek an annulment.

Voidable marriages - meaning those that are potentially (rather than immediately) invalid include:

• one or both spouses were under age 18 and the marriage was performed without parental consent
  • the marriage was entered into under the influence of liquor or drugs (annulment must be brought within 60 days)
  • either spouse is physically unable to have sexual intercourse, or
  • the marriage consent was obtained by duress, coercion or fraud

If you need any clarification, please do not hesitate to ask! Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance; this will not cost you anything extra. We only get credit for the time we take assisting you if you are satisfied AND ALSO ​submit a rating. And please don't feel like we have to stop talking after you submit a rating. I'd be more than happy to continue working with you after that as well.