Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I'm trying to find out about alimony laws in georgia

Customer Question

Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

What is your question?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is there a maximum amount of alimony that the judge can award and is there a maximum amount of time you have to pay?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do you handle military divorces?
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

Hi - thanks for the response.

First, alimony is not guaranteed in any divorce proceeding. Instead, the spouse seeking support must be able to prove to the judge that he/she needs supplemental income from the other spouse to maintain the current standard of living / cover the bills. If the spouse seeking alimony can prove that, then the judge looks at what the paying spouse could afford.

Thus, there are limits based on what the spouse seeking support can prove is needed and also what the paying spouse can afford to pay.

Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

However, there are no dollar amounts listed in statutes, etc.

Also, there is no timeframe for alimony to be paid -- it's up to the judge. However, in most cases, judges award alimony for about 1/2 the length of the marriage UNLESS the marriage.

Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

Please let me know if you need anything further. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting.