Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.

My husband was court ordered to pay me child support with

Customer Question

My husband was court ordered to pay me child support with arrears because our daughter used Medicaid after our divorce. (I never requested the Attorney General get involved, wasn't my decision).
Fast forward to now, we are remarried. The case was signed off by a judge with arrears brought to zero dollars.
At this time we filed our taxes. Apparently everything wasn't yet closed on the child support divisions end. The IRS direct deposited our joint tax refund to the child support division on March 9th.
When I call the child support division, they tell me the refund shouldn't have been sent to them, so "when they get it" a check will be issued to my husband right away. However they keep saying they have not recieved our money yet, and "nothing is showing up in the system yet."
Any woman at the IRS confirmed what our IRS letter said, they were sent our money on the 9th, and they do have it.How long can they keep our money legally? How can they lie every day about having the funds? They say it takes 3-6 weeks for them to get the money, yet I see the IRS proof of a direct deposit. It makes no sense.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 months ago.

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

This is an unfortunate situation and I know very frustrating. Things take time. While the IRS may be showing the money was sent, it is done via a direct deposit. And so it could take 4 to 6 weeks before the Child Support Division via its accounting department is able to sort it out correctly. Keep in mind, you are probably not the only person with this concern and so it takes time.

The only thing I can suggest is you continue to stay on them and remind them at least once a week. You don't want to be annoying, but you don't want it to get lost in the shuffle.

And so it is not that anyone is lying, but the persons you are talking to need to get the information to accounting. They have no idea if the money is there or not, until it is processed and applied to your account and then they need to make the refund.