Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
20355756

If spouses file one day apart - does the first filing serve

Customer Question

If spouses file for divorce one day apart - does the first filing serve as the official filing or is it based on when the other spouse is served?
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Filing is in Maricopa County , Arizona.
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --

-

THe actual filing date of the case will end up being the date that the first set of paperwork was actually filed with the family court in Maricopa County. Once the judge learns that there are two divorce cases filed for the one matter (for the one marriage), the court will consolidate the cases and the filing and service of process dates will no longer matter for any real purpose.

-

Please let me know if you have further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above so I will be paid for my time. I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating above. Doing so will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just ANswer to pay me for my time helping you today. THANK YOU

-