Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

If someone is spoofing my account and I have gotten emails

Customer Question

If someone is spoofing my account and I have gotten emails from a supposed spoofed account is there any way to identify who the original sender was? Long story short, my 2nd cousin has just served me with an emergency protective order stating I sexually assaulted her. She has sent emails, facebook messages and such under fake accounts. I need to know how to prove it has been her the entire time.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If she has filed a lawsuit and seeking a protective order, then you would need to get a subpoena from the court to your internet service provider to provide you the IP addresses where those emails are coming from to show they are not coming from your IP. Also, it is going to take a computer forensic expert to show the court how the emails were spoofed and to show the fake IP address to the court. It is going to take some work, but if she is an amateur, even if she used a spoof software to change her IP, a computer expert can examine the emails to trace where they came from or to at least show they did not come from your email.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. I was in the process of filing my own restraining order because under these fake accounts she was harrassing other members of my family. Do I proceed with my own restraining order.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
secondly, the restraining order is stating we had a romantic relationship and that I sexually assaulted her. What type of lawyer do I need to proceed with my own legal representation?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are you still there?
Thank you for your replies. I am here but you need to give me some time to reply as we experts are trying to juggle multiple customers at the same time and they all deserve the same time as you do. Thank you for understanding.
Thank you for your reply.
You should go ahead and file for your own restraining order, but you still need to get a subpoena for your internet service to get the IP addresses and still need the computer expert to examine those emails and IP addresses to show that they did not come from your address.
You should use a local attorney to represent you, it significantly increases your chances of success and you can use a general litigation attorney for this type of case.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you.
Thank you for your reply.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.