How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 8716
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

MY sister-in-law has recently rekindled a relationship with

Customer Question

MY sister-in-law has recently rekindled a relationship with my wifes ex-husband. My wife's ex asked me to adopt the kids 29 years ago in which I did.Now my sister-in-law has this relationship with the my wife's ex and has been posting visits with him on face book. The sister-in-law now has called our son and asked if he wanted to meet his bio father.
We know the sister-in-law has every right to visit whom she wishes, but is there anything we can do to stop her legally from calling our children and asking if they would like to meet there bio father?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear this; unfortunately, there is nothing one can do in such a situation when the child is an adult child. If the adult child finds the contact offensive, they can request the person to stop contacting them; if they fail to abide by this request, it is possible to get a blanket restraining order (under harassment theory; the court will not monitor relationships so for example, they would not issue a protective order only precluding statements as to bio fathers; rather they would issue a no contact order) but that request needs to be submitted by the person being harassed.

In situations where there is no viable legal options, sometimes mediation works - this is where a neutral professional third party will help encourage dialogue between the parties, so that the opinions/wishes of each side are understood by the other; the mediator will attempt to reach a middle ground. In family matters, sometimes this neutral party can help the other party see reason, as they will focus on the positive and minimize negative emotions. Some communities offer free mediation (the court typically has a list of volunteers); otherwise a private mediator would need to be hired. Since it is a voluntary process, it cannot be compelled.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.
I hope the information I provided is useful. If you need further clarification please post here and I will reply as soon as I see it; otherwise, Kindly

-Rate Positively-

This does Not result in additional charges to the customer and allows the site to credit me for assisting you today.

Thank you and take care!