Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.

Is there a Florida statute that prohibits siblings of the

Customer Question

Is there a Florida statute that prohibits siblings of the opposite sex sharing the same bedroom if one is a teen and the other is still a child?
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not with this issue...
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: What type of info do you need?
JA: Is there anything else the Family Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: My soon to be ex-wife is forcing my kids to share the same bedroom in her apartment when they rather sleep in their own rooms every night here in our home with me and their Grandmother. The reason why I am so concerned is, my children a very uncomfortable with the individual that their mom had an affair with. Every time that individual is present at their mom's residence, they immediately confine themselves to their bedroom. I even received a text message form my 11 year old daughter stating that she had barricaded their bedroom door in their mother's apartment. I'm really concerned about my children's welfare, so I am trying to see what I can do from a legal standpoint to aid me in my custody battle...
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 7 months ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

To answer your question directly, no, there is no such statute. There are no laws which dictate which rooms people can sleep in, regardless of their age. Frankly, an attempt to do so would probably be unconstitutional. I understand your concern about the situation. Your best bet would to be to go through the family courts and seek custody, or seek a modification in the child custody order which prevents this from happening. Even there isn't a statute that would make this illegal, the judge still has the authority to tell them they can't do it if they are to maintain custody.

I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go (that's how I get credit for my work). Good luck.