Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
45002201

An unmarried couple has a baby; Mother's age is 17, father's

Customer Question

An unmarried couple has a baby; Mother's age is 17, father's age is 19. Is the father legally responsible for the hospital bills after insurance pays?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 11 months ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

To answer your question directly, no, the father is not responsible for the hospital bills, since, technically, he didn't incur the costs, the mother and baby did. The father has no contract with the hospital and the hospital provided no services to him. In short, the hospital has no legal grounds to go after the father.

I hope that answers your question. If no, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.

Is there something else I can do for you? If not, please "rate" my answer before you go (that's how I get credit for my work).