Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.

A divorce question. I filed from my ex and she was served

Customer Question

A divorce question. I filed for divorece from my ex and she was served March 9th. Everything was corgial. I was served from an atterney does not specify her intentions.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 months ago.

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

It appears that your spouse is not happy with not having legal representation in this matter. And so she has consulted with a local attorney and has decided to use an attorney. She apparently is going to contest all or part of the divorce and it could be based on spousal support, property distribution, child custody and support - if you have children.

And so what once started out as a non contested divorce is now being contested.

I suggest you can call the attorney, if you are representing yourself and ask why there is a new status hearing date and you can also check with the clerk of the court to verify the March 29th hearing is indeed continued at this time.

As you are probably aware, the initial status conference is designed to be essentially an opportunity for the parties to inform the court of the issues, discuss how to deal with experts or other contested aspects of the case, and to assess potential time frames for future events.

Colorado statute also authorizes the entry of emergency orders at the initial status conference, such as orders regarding emergency support or visitation. And so it could be that she is in need of some sort of spousal support and will be making a request at this status hearing to have court order it temporarily at this time.

Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification. Otherwise a Positive rating ensures i get credit for my time.