Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

HOW TO FILE A DOMESTIC PARTNERSHIP BETWEEN A MAN AND A

Customer Question

I AM WONDERING HOW TO FILE A DOMESTIC PARTNERSHIP BETWEEN A MAN AND A WOMAN? THEY HAVE BEEN TOGETHER FOR 19 YEARS .. ARE 80 & 75 YEARS OLD, AND I AM CURRENTLY FILLING OUT A WILL FOR THEM. the sample will says "registered domestic partnership" as an option along with married, single, widowed etc. is it even necessary to have a partnership "registered" in order to protect assets if the deceased party has a will stating his/her wishes for all the property involved?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. Experts on this site receive credit for assisting you when you click the rating (the stars) so please submit a rating prior to logging off. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

.

I just wanted to clarify something with you: does the person leaving property have kids, other family members? If not, it would be a rather straightforward will that leaves property to the person of his choice. If there are other family members who might attempt to claim from the decedent's estate, it would be very helpful to have an attorney. A person does not need to have a registered domestic partnership or marriage in order to leave assets to another.

.

Please let me know if you have any questions or you need me to clarify anything.

.

Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance. We only get credit for the type we take assisting you if you are satisfied AND ALSO ​submit a rating. And please don't feel like we have to stop talking after you submit a rating. I'd be more than happy to continue working with you after that as well.