LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
63726236

My name is ***** *****. If I draw 100,00 out of my mom's

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. If I draw 100,00 out of my mom's estate as part of an early inheritance and I am holding her power of attorney, then I die, does my estate have to pay my mom back if she survives me?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I live in Washington state. My sister just called me and told me that since my brother died and I inherited his estate, that I have to pay back the early inheritance draw my brother received while he was still alive because my mom survived him.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I was wondering if anyone found anything out?
Expert:  LegalGems replied 8 months ago.

A POA cannot be used for personal gain; the agent owes a principal a fiduciary duty, which means that the agent cannot act with self interest, unless the early inheritance is specifically authorized in the POA document.

If the POA authorizes it, then the estate of the agent would need to reimburse the estate as generally a predeceased heir will not inherit (though some estate planning documents make provisions that the descendants of the heirs will take their share, and the court will deduct the loan). Also, sometimes a will/trust will provide that a loan is to be deducted from an inheritance; other times it will state that an outstanding loan is a gift upon death. If there is no provision, then it is deemed a loan.

Thank you for using Just Answer.
I hope the information I provided is useful. If you need further clarification please post here and I will reply as soon as I see it; otherwise, Kindly
-Rate Positively-
This does Not result in additional charges to the customer and allows the site to credit me for assisting you today.

Thank you and take care!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
if I am understanding you correctly, then I have to pay it back to mom?

Yes, unless the estate planning documents state that any outstanding loans to heirs are to be considered gifts.

Did you have any other questions on the above? A loan would need to be paid back unless the will stated it would be a gift.

Kindly Rate Positively