How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 18362
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can my daughter in oregon, leave a abusive husband and move

Customer Question

Can my daughter in oregon, leave a abusive husband and move her and kids to us in Alaska and file for divorce here?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, she can. However, it is prudent for her to wait at least 30 days to establish that she is a resident of Alaska in order to file the divorce action. Her husband may challenge the jurisdiction of the state to issue custody and visitation Order because Oregon will be considered the home state of the children if the children have not resided in Alaska for six months before the divorce action. However, since she is fleeing the state because of abusive situation, it is unlikely that the husband will prevail.

Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Related Family Law Questions