Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
44472555

I filed divorce papers in Oregon, We have no child or home

Customer Question

I filed divorce papers in Oregon, We have no child or home we rent , we also have visa bills she opened with out my knowledge about 10-?. We are upside down in a new truck payment by 13,000. She kicked me out because I did not want to have children or adopt. Know living at my moms and just got my old car before marriage and a bunch of wet clothes in garbage sacks. Just got notice that she got an attorney (related to the one we used to rent from) and It says I will have to pay her attorney fees, I do not have an attorney as I cant afford one. This has heightened my anxiety about this any suggestions.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 8 months ago.

Unless the court has ordered you to pay the fees (you would have been given notice of a court proceeding and there would be an order signed by a judge) the attorney is only trying to intimidate you to pay the attorney's fees. The attorney can ask the Court to order you to do so, but there is no law making it automatic that you would have to pay her attorney's fees. Do you want to attach the document you received so I can review it?