Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I live in California and have been marred years. My husband

Customer Question

I live in California and have been marred for 6 years. My husband found texts to an old boyfriend and thinks I'm having an affair; no physical contact whatsoever. He has kicked me out of our family home (I am not on the deed) and I am renting a vacation rental for now. He is on long term disability ($2600/mo); I am an RN who makes approx $5000/mo take-home). I have offered to pay all of the bills in the family home (2 step kids and 1 biological child) so they have normalcy in the home. It has been about 4 weeks and need to know what I should and should not be paying for and how to move forward in this process of separation/possible divorce...?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 7 months ago.

There is no answer as to what you "should" be paying because the law only requires you to pay for what is court ordered. If you pay nothing, he may seek child support and spousal support, or payment of bills. So the real question might be what you would have to pay to prevent him from seeking a court order. Is that what you want to figure out?

Also, even if your name is ***** ***** the deed, you had the right to remain at the house as a resident and as his spouse. He could not legally force you to leave.