FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

My nephew was born in South Korea & the father resides in

Customer Question

My nephew was born in South Korea & the father resides in the US. The mother of the child had registered my nephew under her surname without discussing with the father. The father is trying to see if he can get legal custody of the child since the mother refuses to let him see the child. The mother even went ahead and told their son that the father is dead when he is alive. Is there anyway for the father to get custody of the child even if he is here in the US? or must he get an attorney in South Korea?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 8 months ago.

Good morning. Were they ever married? Just to be clear, the mother and child are in South Korea now and the father is in the US?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
They never got married and the father is in the us

Thank you. If they never got married, then it would be presumed that the mother has sole legal and physical custody. For the father to try and get custody of the child, he would first need to establish paternity and then proceed through the court and have visitation or custody ordered. If the mother lives in South Korea at this time, the father is not going to be able to proceed and serve her and allow the court to gain jurisdiction over the matter, so this could be heard. If she lived in the US, it would be easier but he would need to file the cause of action and then she would need to be served and if she lives out of the country, it will be hard to do.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.