How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 24898
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was divorced in 2008 and the deed to the house is still in

Customer Question

i was divorced in 2008 and the deed to the house is still in my name, now my ex wants me to sign over the deed. I live in north Carolina . What are my rights
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 11 months ago.

Good morning. Who was the home awarded to in the divorce?

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 11 months ago.

Hi, are you still with me?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The papers say the ex
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Then why do I and my soused have to sign papers
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I also believe he cashed out his 401 k while we were still married and had someone forge my signature, how do I find out about that
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information. If the divorce decree states that your Ex was awarded the home, then you would need to transfer ownership to him. A quit claim deed is the easiest way to do this. I am not sure why he waited since 2008 to do this but the decree is still in effect and you would need to comply or else he could take you back to court and seek to hold you in contempt. Now, the issue with the 401K should have been addressed as well during the proceedings. If you just learned of this now, you may have to try and take him back to court and get what you are entitled to, if there was forgery.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 11 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Related Family Law Questions