Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

I received a summons on March 10. $My wife of 19 days has

Customer Question

I received a summons on March 10. $My wife of 19 days has filed for an Annulment.
She wrote out a Declaration stating that I promised to give her $27,000 before we were married to pay her line of credit Home Equity Loan and after we were married I changed my mind. She has charged me with Fraud.
This is not true and other things she stated is not true, either. I married her because I loved her and promised to pay all her bills and meet all her needs.
Do I answer the summons? What do I do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

Generally, if one spouse doesn't answer a Petition for an Annulment, the Marriage would be annulled by court by default and once the marriage is annulled, it would basically void / invalidate the marriage and both spouses would be considered as never been married to each other.

Unless, in the petition a spouse asks for some type of financial or other relief, it is not likely that a court would award anything to the spouse that have requested an annulment, however, given the serious nature of the legal matter it would be a good idea to consult with a local family law attorney who can review your entire situation and also the entire petition and advice you what to do.

You can find an experienced and skilled local family law attorney by using this established and reputable attorney information / referral websites:

www.lexmundi.com
www.martindale.com
www.lawyers.com
www.legalmatch.com
When, choosing a local attorney to represent you, it would be a good idea to choose someone who has a practice exclusively dedicated to family law, has at least 10 years of experience and handled similar matters and also regularly practices before the court located in the jurisdiction where your matter might be heard.
I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.

Thank you.