Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
45002201

I live in Missouri I have joint custody of my 14 yr old

Customer Question

I live in Missouri I have joint custody of my 14 yr old daughter. She also lives with me. Her mom is ordered to pay for the insurance and we are required to pay half the bills. I also pay to have insurance on her, due to her mom being in and out of her life. Can I have her mom pay half of the insurance that I pay, and at what age in the state of Missouri can my daughter make the choice to not contact or go for visitation as to she what's nothing to do with her mom , and I pretty much male her go.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 8 months ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

Just so I understand correctly, the mother is ordered to pay for her insurance, but you end up paying for it instead, or are you saying that the mother has a policy on her, but you pay for a second policy?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
she has a policy Las I knew of and I also have a policy cause from the past she had quit job after job

OK. I don't think you are going to be able to get the court to order her to pay for half of the policy you have on her, since it was not ordered by the court. In essence, you are going above and beyond what either of you are ordered to pay for. While that may be a good idea for your daughter's benefit, since it isn't court ordered, she isn't going to be required to pay for half. As for the question about what age your daughter can decide whether or not to go to her mom's house, there really is no age (until she turns 18) when she can decide to disobey a court order. She basically has three options: 1) continue seeing her as ordered by the court; 2) get the mom to consent to not requiring her to come when she doesn't want to; or 3) go back to court and seek to change the custody order. Since she's 14, the judge may put significant weight on what she wants.