P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
11181181

Mother wants to dissolve my contact and communication of my

Customer Question

Mother wants to dissolve my contact and communication of my son because we cant talk. I hate the mother and have tried to talk to my 14 year old son. At this point should I just terminate my parental rights and move on
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 months ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to helpSorry...I do not understand the question. Is this a legal question? Or a relationship question?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She has filed with the court to dissolve my relationship with my son
Thank you. Can you tell me, what is your question regarding this?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My ex has filed a court case saying she wants to dissolve my relationship with my son. Should I agree with her and terminate my rights to my son. She wants me support my son but have nothing to do with him because I can't talk to her . He's 15 we can talk with out her being in the middle of the conversations.
Thank youIf you agree? And the court grants her request? Then you would no longer, legally, be the father. You would have NO rights regarding your son. IF you are OK with this? Then perhaps it is a good idea...generally speaking if the court grants the request to terminate rights you no longer have to pay support.But if you want to continue to be involved in your son's life? You want to consider hiring a lawyer and challenging this in court. Unless mom can show that you have abandoned the child? The court will not terminate your rights to the child.Please let me know if you have more questions. Happy to help if I can.