Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.

I am researching AZ laws to try to find out if a divorce can

Customer Question

I am researching AZ laws to try to find out if a divorce can be changed into an annulment
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I discovered my ex husband was a drug addict after we were married and he was high and drunk during the ceremony.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: He terminated his parental rights to my son following the divorce
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

A divorce unfortunately cannot be changed into an annulment after the fact. You'd need grounds to have the divorce judgment vacated first, which cannot be done if you OR your husband told the judge that you wanted a divorce. Even if you could get the divorce re-opened (and then dismissed), the only grounds for annulment in Arizona is that the spouses are related. Ariz. Rev. Stat., Section 25-101. All other persons must seek a divorce.

There is a difference between a legal annulment and a religious one. One is governed by statutes, the other by faith. If you have a religious objection to divorce, you can talk to your local religious leader about how to get the marriage annulled.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.