Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

My Daughter will turn65 in June and is now on Medicaid/. Is

Customer Question

My Daughter will turn65 in June and is now on Medicaid/. Is it mandatory that she goes on Medicare? If so, she cannot afford it being as she lives in and adult Foster home.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, if she has reached eligibility age for medicare, she must file for and apply for medicare. If she fails to file for medicare, she will end up paying a penalty and they will terminate her medicaid. Medicaid can still be available to supplement her needs from the basic medicare if she qualifies financially. So she needs to apply for medicare and if she cannot afford the medicare supplements, medicaid will still provide coverage.