Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

My ex is petitioning to reduce s child support and wants to

Customer Question

my ex is petitioning to reduce his child support and wants to use the osthler smith calculator and someone told me because he works so much overtime it would be better for me but I'm trying to figure out how to calculate it to see if i should allow this calculation or not
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

What is your legal question about the situation you have described?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How to calculate child support using the osthler smith guideline

What state are you in?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ca

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, the court would determine the percentage of the overtime earnings that should be paid as part of the child support and it determined in the same way as a regular child support, on a case by case basis, based on timesharing and overall income.

Once the percentage is determined for the overtime earnings amount that should go to child support, the court would "Smith-Ostler" order which will state the exact percentage that the parent has to pay toward child support from the overtime earnings.

I wish you the best of luck!