FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases

My child turns 18 soon and my ex us trying to get the back

Customer Question

My child turns 18 soon and my ex us trying to get the back child support payments increased can she do that in the state of California?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 7 months ago.
Good evening. Just to be clear, you owe arrears and she is trying to get those Modifed and be awarded more then what you owe?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She wants to increase the amount of the arears monthly payment from 200 to 900 a month in the state of California . I am under the impression that you can't modify an arrears or after the child turns 18

Good morning. Yes, you are correct. In this case the mother will like fail in her attempt. I say this because she would have need to file a motion to modify the support previously, while the child was still a minor and the obligation to pay would still be required. She can not come back now after the fact and ask for a retroactive modification to the arrears when she could have done so years ago. The obligation to pay the arrears will remain but it is highly unlikely she will get the amount modified

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.