Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

My mom has dementia and bipolar and took warrant out on me a

Customer Question

My mom has dementia and bipolar and took warrant out on me for hitting a handicap elder which didn't happen I was driving and she started having bipolar monument and went to hit me and in defense took and held her back til I got home 5min away
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this. Please tell me:

1) What state is this in?

2) What do you mean "took out a warrant?" As in, got a restraining order or filed a police complaint?

3) Have you talked to the police yet?

4) Have you been arrested/charged?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
North Carolina not arrested just served warrant mom took out warrant without them knowing her medical condition with outside family help
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.

What do you mean warrant? What does it say/demand of you, please?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The warrant says assault on handicap elderly lady will be going to mediation March 29 the chief of police know situation and was gona try to get things moving I am the only living sibling and my Mom have taken care of her since 3020 recently Home health nurse who came for few weeks to see my mom said she need assisted living O have letter from her Dr saying her mental status and she isn't capable of taking care of financial social legal affairs nor appoint POA
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Taking care since 2010
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.

Thank you.

Okay, I think I understand. What exactly can I answer for you in regards ***** ***** i.e. what can I answer for you?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you still there
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for your clarification on the matter. What can I answer for you, i.e. what are you asking about this?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What will I need for mediation when I go can I take the Dr letter say she is imcompetant what is expected of me other than trying to resolve the situation
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for your reply.

See HERE. This will really help you understand what has happened.

You can indeed take a letter from the physician, however since the mediator is there to resolve the problem by agreement, they may not be able to simply "rule her case out" unless she agrees. It is mediation, not arbitration.

Failing that, one can use the letter in COURT if mediation fails, and possibly subpoena the physician to speak as well as a witness, to have the case thrown out, or at least be acquitted.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well a dementia person with bipolar want agree with the dx or my Mom
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.
The Court will normally find a normal person and a physician witness' statements more credible than that of a dementia person.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!