Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

Can an attorney withhold the signing and filing of a final

Customer Question

Can an attorney withhold the signing and filing of a final divorce decree because you have not yet paid your fees!.?
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The Rules of Professional Conduct require that an attorney "act with reasonable diligence and promptness when representing a client." Rule 1.3. Holding a case hostage until fees are paid DOES NOT comply with that rule. If your lawyer refuses to wrap up the case, you can file an ethical complaint with the state disciplinary commission.

http://www.in.gov/judiciary/discipline/2373.htm

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.