Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC

My husband left me and my 15 year old son. He is the main

Customer Question

My husband left me and my 15 year old son. He is the main source of income. Now I'm left with a mortgage and all the bills. I need help.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you.

I want to confirm before we begin ... you're aware how this site works - that in order for us to receive credit for working with you, you need to submit a satisfactory rating - if you feel the performance of the person you're working with is satisfactory EVEN IF you're not necessarily happy with what the law is. Are those terms acceptable to you?

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to assist you. With respect to the court utilized, civil claims of this nature could go to either small claims court or to Supreme Court. The disadvantage of filing in small claims court is that you can only win money damages (typically only up to $10k; in Supreme Court you could also potentially get an injunction, preventing her from spreading her letter to others (and perhaps can get her to issue an apology). When you assert a claim for defamation you need to establish that an individual negligently or intentionally communicated/published (wrote) a FALSE statement to a third party and this caused injury/damage/harm to another's reputation. Often that harm is financial, but it doesn't have to be. Please let me know if you have any questions or you need me to clarify anything. Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance. We only get credit for the type we take assisting you if you are satisfied AND ALSO ​submit a rating. And please don't feel like we have to stop talking after you submit a rating. I'd be more than happy to continue working with you after that as well.