Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I'm going through a custody situation, I have temporary

Customer Question

I'm going through a custody situation, I have temporary joint legal custody of my child with my ex girlfriend, she on several occasions stated over the phone that she is going to destroy me and my family. Is this considered a domestic violence threat?
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I have a lawyer for my current case.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: The mother is never home at night leaving my child with her mother and to my knowledge is not administrating the asthma medication as directed, stating she is over his health so she will make the decision about his medication
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please tell me what state this is in.

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.

Thank you. Yes, it can be. However it would be her word versus yours. Under Ga. Code Ann. § 16-11-66(a), a participant in an electronic conversation can record this conversation without the other party's consent. As such, someone in your situation may wish to record the conversations in the future and if she repeats this threat, act upon it by getting a restraining order and/or filing a police complaint - using the tape as proof.

Of course if one feels that her threat is genuine, one wants to do the above without the recorded conversation, regardless.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!