Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

I HAD A CHILD CUSTODY ISSUE. ( I FOUND OUT ABOUT THE

Customer Question

I HAD A CHILD CUSTODY ISSUE. ( I FOUND OUT ABOUT THE ADOPTION OF MY CHILD INADVERTENTLY ) AND I HIRED AN ATTORNEY AND WE WERE ABLE TO GET A HEARING. AND REQUEST THAT THE DECISION FOR ADOPTION BE OVERTURNED. IT WAS DENIED. MY ATTORNEY AND I DECIDED TO APPEAL ...... HE GAVE ME SOME TIME TO MAKE PAYMENTS. HE SAID THAT WE HAD 60 FROM THE TIME OF THE NOTICE OF THE COURT TO APPEAL THE DECISION. HE FILED ON THE 39TH DAY FOLLOWING THE DECISION AND HE THEN DISCOVERED THAT HE ONLY HAD 30 AND NOT 60......... WHATS MY POSITION WITH THIS?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

I am not permitted to tell JustAnswer.com what to do in their specific situation or list all of the legal rights that might potential apply in any specific situation, as such legal advice can only be provided by your local attorney, upon review of your entire case.

I can however, provide you with a general answer, if you have a legal question for me?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you review my question?

Yes. I have reviewed your entire question.

Can you please state what is your actual legal question about the situation you have described?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If this attorney malpracticed ?

Thank you for your follow up.

Yes. Generally, if an attorney misses or misinforms a client about an important deadline and the client is unable to pursue an appeal, that would be generally considered a legal malpractice.

Generally, the two options would be to consult with a local legal malpractice attorney and also to file a formal complaint against the attorney with the state Bar.

Here is the link to the official Louisiana Bar website which has the forms and information about filing a formal complain against an attorney:

https://www.lsba.org/Public/complaints.aspx

You can find an experienced and skilled local legal malpractice law attorney by using this established and reputable attorney information / referral websites:

www.lexmundi.com
www.martindale.com
www.lawyers.com
www.legalmatch.com
When, choosing a local attorney to represent you, it would be a good idea to choose someone who has a practice exclusively dedicated to real legal malpractice law, has at least 10 years of experience and handled similar matters and also regularly practices before the court located in the jurisdiction where your matter might be heard.
I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.