Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
44472555

My wife filed a pfa against me, I think, shes doing this to

Customer Question

my wife filed a pfa against me, butt I think, shes doing this to get rid of me so that she and my grown step kids and her grand kids can live in our big house with her new man without me putting restrictions on them , and ill be footing their bills.
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: i don't have one.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: ive taken care of my step kids since 2001. their father was in jail. Now that they are grown, the mother doesn't like me telling them to help out around the house or put restrictions on their fun our cost of living which is very high falls mostly on me and even though my wife has a good job, she doesn't like working, and loses jobs frequenly. she preferred to go work out of state and stay in nice hotels. I wonder.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Our top Lawyer is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Lawyer in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Lawyer until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When we had an argument and I pointed out issues I had with her and the step son she went to court to get the PFA. I Han been complaining to her about her condescending ways toward me and she said just didn't care.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The court refused to for a PFA the step son who several weeks ago threatened to shoot me down if I argue with his mother. His mother just watched and didn't stop him.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can I not counter my wife with my own PFA?
Expert:  Steven K. replied 8 months ago.

Yes, you can if your wife has been abusive with you. Is this PA? In Pennsylvania, domestic violence is defined as follows:

1. Attempting to cause or causing (with or without a deadly weapon):
      • Bodily injury or serious bodily injury;
      • Rape;
      • Involuntary deviate sexual intercourse (oral sex, anal sex, vaginal or anal penetration with a foreign object performed under force or the threat of force, or while unconscious);*
      • Aggravated indecent assault (vaginal or anal penetration with a finger or other body part under force or threat of force, or while unconscious);**
      • Indecent assault (touching a person’s intimate parts for the purposes of arousal without consent, under force or threat of force, or while the person is unconscious);***
  1. Placing another in reasonable fear of immediate serious bodily injury;
  2. False imprisonment;
  3. Physical or sexual abuse of a child; or
  4. Engaging in a course of conduct or repeatedly committing acts toward another person, including following the person, under circumstances which place the person in reasonable fear of bodily injury.

The other state I know of with PFA's is Maine. There, the definition of abuse is:

• attempting to cause or causing bodily injury or offensive physical contact;
  • attempting to cause or causing sexual assaults (Note: the sexual assault can be committed by anyone even if not a family/household member/dating partner);
  • stalking as defined by law (Note: the stalking can be committed by anyone even if not a family/household member/dating partner)
  • attempting to place or placing another person in fear of bodily injury by threatening, harassing or tormenting;
  • forcing a person to do things that the person has a right not to do;
  • forcing a person not to do things that the person has a right to do;
  • substantially restricting the movements of a person without lawful authority by:
    • removing a person from his/her home, business or school without consent or lawful authority;
    • moving a person a substantial distance; or
    • confining a person;
  • threatening a crime of violence that places the person in reasonable fear that the crime will be committed; and/or
  • repeatedly and without reasonable cause, following a person or being at or in the vicinity of the person's home, school, business or place of employment.

Do you have any other questions?

(There are a few other states, like Alabama, that calls their orders PFA's, but I don't want to inundate you with definitions, so if you're in one of these other states, let me know.)