Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

This is divorce attorney. My husband wants a divorce, he

Customer Question

Hello,This is for a divorce attorney. My husband wants a divorce, he blindsided me, I did not see this coming, totally abandoned me financially, I have no job no car, broke up our marriage thru texting!! He has severe anxiety and panic due to severe childhood abuse, and I pampered that man, spoiled him rotten. soon as he starts seeing a counsler, he leaves me, and they tell him he does not have to support me, that I can get a job (I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue)...I am so furious. We have been together, living together since 2006, married since 2010. Can I get alimony? what if he is not
working at this time? Can he be held liable for alimony when he does work/ (he is a Microsoft engineer). I
believe I have a case of abandonment...he just wants me to sign papers and I need advice before I do anything. \
I am 55.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I'll be happy to help you. I'm so sorry you're going through this. You definitely CAN file for alimony; since you are in a short term marriage you may not be entitled to a very large amount though. The fact that you have two medical conditions which make it hard to work for long periods of time helps your case. Abandonment, unfortunately, would require him to have been gone for a much longer period of time in the states that permit it; California no longer recognizes abandonment as a ground for divorce. California uses “no-fault” principles in all divorce proceedings, so neither party has to prove that the other "destroyed" the marriage in order to be granted a divorce. I sincerely ***** ***** could give you better news but I wouldn't be doing my job and I wouldn't be doing the right thing for you if I told you only what you want to hear. However, you would definitely be wise to move slow with the signing of any legal documents and if you need any assistance with reviewing those I'd be happy to help you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE REMEMBER TO SUBMIT *RATING* AT CONCLUSION OF DISCUSSION SO EXPERT RECEIVES CREDIT FOR TIME SPENT ASSISTING YOU WITH YOUR CASE.