How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 830
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am filing but my spouse wants to request alimony and 't

Customer Question

I am filing for divorce but my spouse wants to request alimony and don't know if I can file uncontested
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no I have not
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I have been with my spouse a total of seven years. We were married for two years initially then divorced for a few years and remarried. We have been remarried for two years and now I want to divorce for irreconcilable differences my spouse is not wanting to sign divorce papers unless I agree to pay alimony
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Family Lawyer should know?
Customer: My spouse has three children but they are not mine and I have never adopted them. My spouse only work odd jobs throughout the marriage
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 1 year ago.

In most states, a two year marriage isn't going to be long enough to qualify for any substantial amount of alimony, so there's a good chance your spouse wouldn't get any if they fought for it. The Judge isn't going to consider the overall length of your relationships, just the length of the current marriage.

Each state has different thoughts on spousal support, however, so it will depend on where the divorce is taking place.

If you do not agree to alimony and your spouse wants alimony, you are right, it is no longer an uncontested divorce. You would have to have hearings and possibly a final trial to finalize the divorce if they will not give up on their quest for alimony.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  originallawyer replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome!

Related Family Law Questions