How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31567
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband of 14 yrs informed me he had an other family in

Customer Question

My husband of 14 yrs informed me he had an other family in ND.. He just up and left! I am 50 yrs old and have not worked outside the home for over 5 yrs due to medical issues so I have been left with no income, he closed our accts and cards. I just found out yesterday that the house has not been paid for 4 months and is going into forclosure! I haven't any living family except my son who have been helping all he can! He told me he doesn't have to pay alimony and he cant afford to help me now that he is supporting another family! Its insane.. It has been emotionally devastating, but the immediate concern is how I am going to survive! I am weeks away from being homeless! I obviously haven't any money to get an attorney - can you please tell me what I can do and if there are any criminal acts that have been chargeable here and most importantly is there a way to make him have to provide any support, even if its just long enough to were I have a chance to get my barrings? Please, what can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

I certainly understand your concern and shock over this. First, you can seek spousal support from your husband if you don't work and if you don't have the ability to support yourself. First you would have to file for divorce and seek temporary support.....and then request more permanent support at the conclusion of the divorce.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

As for finding a lawyer, if you don't work and don't have money for one, you can still consult a lawyer and ask him/her about petitioning the court to make him pay for your lawyer. It is common in situations where one spouse doesn't work.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Thus, you certainly should consider seeing a lawyer to file suit and then pursue temporary support.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

As for the foreclosure, you may not be able to stop it unless you can come up with the money necessary to bring the loan current. So, you certainly may need to start making plans to find a new place.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

It is also possible that you could file criminal charges against him for bigamy if he is also married to this other person.....

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need anything further. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!

Related Family Law Questions