Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

I have been divorced years. I went to the social security

Customer Question

I have been divorced for 6 years. I went to the social security office and they changed my name back to my maiden name. When I went to Highway Patrol they stated that my divorce papers do not have the approval to change my name. Now I have one name on my Social Security Card and another name on my Driver's license. What do I need to do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
This is a more common occurrence than you may thing. If the divorce order did not order you could return to your maiden name, then to fix this the fastest you need to go to court and file a petition for name change (it takes about 45 days to complete) and in the petition you state you were married and had a common law name change to your married name and you are seeking the court's order to change your name back to your maiden name as it appears on your birth certificate. Once you file this, they will make you present a criminal history report and will have you publish the notice in the local newspaper, then they will set it for an order by the judge and if there are no persons filing any objections in court, the court issues the order without any hearing at all.