Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

My niece lives in CO and had 3 children when she and her

Customer Question

My niece lives in CO and had 3 children when she and her husband were addicts. The children were taken away from her and put into the home of her father-in-law. Her husband died of an overdose. My niece has since then gotten clean, has a job, and is remarried. She and her husband don't have a lot of money, but she desperately wants her kids back. Her father-in-law has money and is an ex-cop and knows the judges and other cops and has been able to block her efforts. There is evidence that the F-I-L's wife is hitting the kids, and my niece called the police to have them check it out. The police did, then came back to my niece and told her they knew she was trying to get her kids back and not to ever call them again. Incidentally the oldest child wrote a letter to the judge saying he wants to live w/ his mother, but the F-I-L was able to get my niece's request for a court hearing blocked. What can be done here? The ex-cop has money and friends that he's using.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this. She needs to try to get an attorney who can file for custody of the children based on the facts presented. If they do not believe they can get a fair trial in that county where the FIL lives, then the attorney can file for a change of venue to a different county to at least ensure a fair trial is done.