Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
20355756

I am a single mother of 2 kids living in RI. One has Crohns

Customer Question

I am a single mother of 2 kids living in RI. One has Crohns Disease. I have a Man in my life and we want to get married . BUT the kids and I are on Medicaid (RiteCare) and get food stamps. If I get married we will lose benefits as my fiancee's income will be too much for eligibility. So we want to just have a committment ceremony and not have a legal wedding. I was thinking of legally changing my last name to his. Just going through the court for a name change. If I do change my name but we are NOT legally married will that name change effect benefits?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 8 months ago.

Hello there -

-

If you intend to live with your fiance after the commitment ceremony, then the change in living arrangements will affect your total household income and you will experience cuts in the amount of financial assistance that you receive from the state of RI == it is not the fact of whether you are married or not that matters here, It is the fact that you are experiencing an increase in your overall Total income being received by ALL members of the household. The only way around this is if your new husband experiences a sudden drop in his overall income and you report that drop to the State of RI.

-

While I realize that the information is not really something that you wanted to hear, I do hope that it helps overall so you can examine all of your options here for the situation. Please let me know if you have any further questions on this matter. If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you today. I am paid NOTHING unless you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star (they are the positive rating buttons). Pressing a positive rating will NOT cost you any more money -- it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time on this question. THANK YOU VERY MUCH
-

MARY