How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris T., JD Your Own Question
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4816
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Chris T., JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 17, turning 18 in two weeks and goes to gh school

Customer Question

My son is 17, turning 18 in two weeks and goes to high school in NY. He has been coming home past midnight, and our curfew is 9 o clock. He threatened to stay over at a friends house (who we do not know) and we refused, and he said there is nothing we can do. We would like to kick him out since he curses, screams and does not follow any rules. Will we have to pay child support if we kick him out? We told him he is welcome to stay if he follows our rules.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

Are you asking if you'll have to pay child support if he moves out before he turns 18?

Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

If you are asking if you have to pay child support if you ask him to leave when he turns 18, the answer is no, you don't unless there is a court order requiring you to do so. That would only happen if you were divorced and the divorce decree required you to support your child to an age past 18, which usually entails support while a person's child is in college. Absent that, and if he just moves out at 18 with no prior court order, you will not have to pay anyone child support, as he will be an adult at that time.

Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any questions? If so, feel free to ask. If not, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go.

Related Family Law Questions