Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
45002201

My son is 17, turning 18 in two weeks and goes to gh school

Customer Question

My son is 17, turning 18 in two weeks and goes to high school in NY. He has been coming home past midnight, and our curfew is 9 o clock. He threatened to stay over at a friends house (who we do not know) and we refused, and he said there is nothing we can do. We would like to kick him out since he curses, screams and does not follow any rules. Will we have to pay child support if we kick him out? We told him he is welcome to stay if he follows our rules.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 8 months ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

Are you asking if you'll have to pay child support if he moves out before he turns 18?

If you are asking if you have to pay child support if you ask him to leave when he turns 18, the answer is no, you don't unless there is a court order requiring you to do so. That would only happen if you were divorced and the divorce decree required you to support your child to an age past 18, which usually entails support while a person's child is in college. Absent that, and if he just moves out at 18 with no prior court order, you will not have to pay anyone child support, as he will be an adult at that time.

Do you have any questions? If so, feel free to ask. If not, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go.