Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

The court just called my husband, who is representing mself

Customer Question

The court just called my husband, who is representing himself about a custody hearing being set for Monday. The judge has a opening. When my husband told her that he needed more time to prepare, she seemed annoyed and told him that she would have to speak to the judge. How much notice does the court need to give someone? Calling on a Friday afternoon, for a hearing on Monday does not seem OK.
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Family Lawyer should know?
Customer: It has been a complicated custody case, with lots of motions and responses being filed by both parties.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Generally, the court does not need to give more than 3 day notice of a hearing, but courts also are a bit considerate of pro se parties and if your husband as a pro se party has not prepared enough up to this point for his hearing he needs to move the court for the continuance and tell the court how long he needs to be ready to proceed. The issue is family court judges are very busy and when they get openings the try to fill them as fast as they can, so if they can give at least 3 day notice (calendar days) that is all that is required.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Thank you for your reply.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.