P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
11181181

In Georgia, Mom and dad dead and left the house in all 6 of

Customer Question

In Georgia, Mom and dad dead and left the house in all 6 of their children name, how do I go about forcing the sale of the property to get my portion.
Thanks
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

What you are describing is called a "partition action"

If you hire an attorney they can file a "partition action" with your county court (the county where the property is located)

The judge will then have a realtor list and sell the property, distributing the proceeds from the sale among the owners.

Easy...or, relatively so. But you will need to hire a lawyer. The adage "a man who represents himself has a fool for a client" is often true. If you act as your own lawyer, the court will expect you to know the law/rules/procedure/evidence just as if you were admitted to the bar. They (the court) will not cut you any slack. If the goal is to win the case, hire a lawyer.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.