Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

If my 19 year old daughter and her 2 year old son lived with

Customer Question

If my 19 year old daughter and her 2 year old son lived with me last year can I claim her as a dependent without affecting the grandsons medical benefits? The daughter tells me that if I claim her she would lose this as now my income becomes hers.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Just because you have them living with you does not mean they qualify as your dependents. In order to qualify as dependents you have to prove you provide more than 50% of their support. Once you do show you provide more than 50% of her support, she must claim that for any public benefits she receives and can lose that public assistance. So, yes, she could lose the medical benefits if she is getting government benefits for your grandson.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Satisfied Thanks.
Please do not forget to click on the 5 stars at the top of your page to leave positive feedback. Thank you.