RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

After filing, can I change tax withholding to single or is

Customer Question

After filing for divorce, can I change tax withholding to single or is it married filing separately until final disposition? We will remain in same household. Thank you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

Yes you can. Actually, you could do this at any time so long as your spouse would not file jointly. You'd both need to file single. You do miss out on some exemptions filing single, so it is best to consult with an accountant before filing. Also, remember that your marital status as of December 31 controls. So if you are officially divorced by December 31, 2016, and then decide next year you want to file jointly again (for whatever reason) you wouldn't be able to.

If you need clarification or additional information, please reply, and I'll be happy to assist you. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave me a positive rating (3-5 stars) as that is the only way experts on this site are compensated for our time and expertise, even if you have previously left a deposit. Thank you.