Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My ex will no longer pay attorney which means I no longer

Customer Question

My ex will no longer pay for my attorney which means I no longer have one. He and his attorney just sent paperwork to me saying they have a hearing for April13th of this year...I do not want to go without representation. I have already called the Bar regarding pro bono or payment plans, etc etc. do I have to go? Will the judge rule on anthing without me or an attorney being there? I knew he would want to take advantage of me now that I no longer have an attorney. What do I do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening Sharlene,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs.

I have been a CA licensed litigation attorney for more than 30 years, and I handle family law cases. What you are asking for is extremely difficult to respond to adequately in this written format, and in my experience is only practical to approach in a phone conversation. Your choice of pro per representation brings up all sorts of potential issues that could negatively effect you.

If you are interested, for a nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. If you are not interested just let me know and I will be happy to opt out. Perhaps someone else would be willing to tackle your request.

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to talk to someone who is currently practicing law, not someone who is retired. This website is so horrible playing with people who are in desperate situations.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening Sharlene,

I am not retired, and I am surprised that you suggest such a thing. I hold an active license to practice law in CA. I am in CA as we speak. I cannot represent you because JustAnswer rules prohibit that---but I am not retired. If you don't want a phone call I will be happy to opt out. I am not "playing" with you. I am trying to do the best to assist you.

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

You asked:

I do not want to go without representation. I have already called the Bar regarding pro bono or payment plans, etc etc. do I have to go? If you do not go to the hearing then you will not have an opportunity to present evidence if this is a motion hearing, and you will likely be at a disadvantage when the judge makes a ruling. If this is a status conference or other court-ordered hearing and you do not appear, you will find yourself in trouble with the court.

Will the judge rule on anthing without me or an attorney being there? Absolutely the judge can, and they will rule, on issues before the court if you skip the hearing. You cannot stop the litigation process by simply not showing up. Not showing up often results in the other side getting whatever they ask for.

I knew he would want to take advantage of me now that I no longer have an attorney. What do I do? You either retain a new attorney, find a way to pay and keep or rehire your previous attorney, or plan to represent yourself the best you can.

I am sure that I could have been much more helpful to you were you to accept the phone call because I could have probed in depth your financial situation (looking for a solution), your abilities to represent yourself and evaluated the complexity and possible response to your next pending court hearing---but the call is entirely your option.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you, if you are willing to accept help from an experienced (but not yet retired) litigation attorney.

I wish you well,

Doug