Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I got divorced in Dec 2013 in State and am paying

Customer Question

I got divorced in Dec 2013 in Washington State and am paying maintenance for 3 years. Can my x-wife ask for more maintenance after the period of 3 years that was stipulated in our divorce decree is over. She works as a dental hygienist and has had the job for over 20 years.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Generally, spousal maintenance cannot be changed unless there is a change in circumstances that warrants a modification. This could be a change in employment status or an increase/decrease in income, etc. That said, IF the parties agreed in the divorce decree that the maintenance order is not modifiable, then it could not be changed (so take a look at your decree and see if it provides such). Here's a good link you can read:

Also, here's a link to the statute: