How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31590
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got divorced in Dec 2013 in State and am paying

Customer Question

I got divorced in Dec 2013 in Washington State and am paying maintenance for 3 years. Can my x-wife ask for more maintenance after the period of 3 years that was stipulated in our divorce decree is over. She works as a dental hygienist and has had the job for over 20 years.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Generally, spousal maintenance cannot be changed unless there is a change in circumstances that warrants a modification. This could be a change in employment status or an increase/decrease in income, etc. That said, IF the parties agreed in the divorce decree that the maintenance order is not modifiable, then it could not be changed (so take a look at your decree and see if it provides such). Here's a good link you can read:

Also, here's a link to the statute: