LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

Is it a conflict of interest if the deputy Sherrie is the

Customer Question

Is it a conflict of interest if the deputy Sherrie is the grandmother of the child and if the court proceedings are in the same court she works in. Witnesses state that the judge said it was out of his hands and up to the deputy sherrid/grandmother.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Thanks for asking for me.

There is no conflict of interest in having a grandmother testify in a child support hearing, even if that same grandmother is a sheriff working in the court.

However, the grandmother has no legal right to set a child support amount nor to even determine that support is due. Those decisions are solely for the judge to decide.

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

You may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further.

I wish you well,

Doug

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I keep hitting the excellent star but it doesn't let me submit.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Who do you go to if you know the law enforcement and the judges are , for lack of a better phrase, " in bed together?"
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I am sorry. I think that I may not have activated the rating system. I will do that now.

If you believe that the court and the grandparent are in cahoots, then you would need to object to the appearance of conflict and then file an appeal.

I wish you well,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug