N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983
9653905

I am trying to get divorced from my husband. He is a

Customer Question

Hello, I am trying to get divorced from my husband. He is a Cameroonian that now lives in Cameroon. He is not a US citizen and has never been in the states. We met while I was stationed in Germany. I am in the military and things didn't workout. I have heard from or spoken to him since 2012. I really need some guidance on where to start with my divorce. How to serve him, how court works when the defendant cannot attend, and all that. Correction I have not heard from him since 2012
JA: The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I did when I lived in South Carolina and they wanted me to pay to have someone go serve him in Cameroon. That seemed a little obscene.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: Well we were married in 2010 and both agree that we wanted a divorce before I left Germany in 2012. Then he was forced to leave Germany because he didn't have a visa and kind of disappeared for awhile. Then I saw him start updating his Facebook account.
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Family Lawyer should know?
Customer: I don't think so.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Family Lawyer responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

In which country and state are you located?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm in Oklahoma, USA

Is he willing to stipulate to a divorce being granted by Oklahoma?

Will he agree to accept service of the summons and petition by mail?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I believe he will. I know that he would have to receive is via DHL because how the mailing system works there (it's not very up to date and DHL is the safest shipping)

If he will not agree to accept service, it will cost at least a thousand dollars to serve him informally.

Formal service would cost less and take a very long time. See

http://www.processnet1.com/cameroon.htm

Please let me know if he will agree to accept service and agree to the divorce once you find out.

You can take as long as you need to reply.

You want him to agree to sign a General Appearance and Waiver of Summons, see

http://oklaw.org/resource/general-appearance-and-waiver-of-summons?ref=mDJM4

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Oh thank you very much! I will send him a message and hopefully he will respond shortly.

Please let me know if you need more information.