Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

My step father passed away 4 yrs ago. My mother never

Customer Question

My step father passed away 4 yrs ago. My mother never changed the title of their car to her name. She just paid the license fee because it was the same address. She has moved in with me in a different county and we need to change the title and reg over to the new county. How difficult will it be to get this done. The state is saying we need to go through probate court.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, this now means you have no choice but to go through probate court. That is the only way to remove a name from a title after death. You can seek to file a small estate affidavit for collection of personal property, https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/DR2712.pdf in the probate court. Once you get that approved you file that with the change of title and get the title changed over.