Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

In a situation where a mother will not provide a residence

Customer Question

In a situation where a mother will not provide a residence for her 16 year old son and he is forced to live elsewhere, do any legal papers need to be filed? She will not sign any papers to get notorized showing that she gives him permission to live with someone else. She is on total disability with bipolar/schizophrenia and shouldn't even be responsible for him, but his biological father passed away in 2014 and she unfortunately has custody of him now. He is planning on living with his 21 year old girlfriend and her family and his mother is fine with that, but she won't sign any paperwork. The mother also gets his SSDI check from his dad's death and will not give the money to him to live on...shouldn't that check follow where he lives? I know this is pretty messed up, but unfortunately kids have to deal with a lot these days with deadbeat parents!
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney and I'll be happy to help you.

I'm so sorry your whole family is going through this.

The first thing you should do is contact Child protective services. A 16-year-old is in no position to decide where he is to live, and living with his 21-year-old girlfriend's parents is by no means an ideal situation. He needs stability. What if they break up and he once again has nowhere to go. You should also contact the family court.

There will need to be a hearing to terminate Mom's rights, if you (and the courts) decide to proceed that way. The courts in these types of situations, particularly when you are a pro se litigant – someone who is proceeding without an attorney. Do you need me to get you the phone number/contact information for the Family Court in your area?

Please let me know if you need any additional assistance and I will be happy to help you. If you are satisfied, could you please take a moment and submit a rating. We only get credit if you are satisfied and also submit a rating. I'll be happy to continue answering your questions afterward, it doesn't mean you have to stop communicating about this issue.

Hi. Just a friendly reminder to please submit a rating if you are satisfied with my assistance. If you need any *additional* assistance I'd be happy to help you. I know there is a ton of information out there on the internet… and I hope you consider Just Answers a great resource for educational and helpful information. We don't get credit for the time we spend assisting you unless you're satisfied AND ALSO submit a positive rating. I can of course continue to help you regarding this topic and clarify anything you have questions about as well, so don’t feel as though we have to stop communicating if you require clarification even after you submit a positive rating.