Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

IN 2012, I WAS DIVORCED IN SC AFTER 43 YEARS OF MARRIAGE, 3

Customer Question

IN 2012, I WAS DIVORCED IN SC AFTER 43 YEARS OF MARRIAGE, 3 YEARS AFTER THE DIVORCE I FIND MY X, THE ACCOUNTANTS THAT TOOK CARE OF OUR FINANCES HELPED MY X HIDE A LOT OF MONE FROMME. I GOT NO PART OF THE COMPANY IO OWNED 80% OF. THEY DEPRECIATED IT OUT. THE PROPERTY I RECEIVED WAS DEPRECIATED OUT I HAD TO PAY FULL PRICE FOR MAKING IT LOOK LIKE I GOT MORE. M HOW CAN I GET A LAWYER TO TAKE THESE PEOPLE TO COURT.?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

The law allows a person to reopen a judgment that was entered on fraud by an adverse party at any time within one year after the judgment is entered. S.C. Rule 60. If you were divorced in 2012, I'm very sorry to have to tell you this, but it's too late to have the case reopened now. Lawyers have an ethical obligation not to file a case (and not to take a client's money) when they know there is no legal basis for doing so. It would be a breach of the rules of ethics for a lawyer to represent you knowing that the time to take action has long since passed. And that could be why so many lawyers have declined to assist you.

If you believe that you have a strong argument for why the general one year rule should not be allowed in your case, you can try talking to other lawyers in your area, but there aren't any guarantees. A good place to find someone is www.martindale.com.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please rate my answer positively to ensure I am paid for the time I spent answering your question. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Good luck.